Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Fender Twin Reverb Silverface 1969

Fender Silverface Twin Reverb
1969
Serial No. A20769

The Fender Twin Reverb is one of the most popular and desirable amp in the Fender tube amp line. It is re-issued by Fender and remains a current product in the Fender amp product line-up, attesting to its popularity. It has an awesome clean sound that is well-complimented by its built-in reverb and tremolo effects. It is pedal friendly and it is easy to get desired sounds using outboard effects.

I did a very rough comparison noodling through my '69 Twin Reverb and my '73 Fender Vibrolux Reverb (rated at 40 watts) using the same set of speakers. They both sound sweet and inspiring. I'd give that round to the Fender Twin though I think it is mostly because I liked the quality of the reverb of this particular Fender Twin better than the Vibrolux's. It maybe just a quirk in my particular amps and/or the "reverb tanks" used and may not hold true for other examples of these amps.

My '69 Twin Reverb has all original transformers. It has an original multi-voltage power transformer (selectable power voltage). I got this amp in a home-made head cabinet. I imagine that it would be cool to have a custom pine combo cab made for this amp. Hmmm...

















According to the Fender code system, this amp was manufactured on the 25th week of 1969 (or June 1969). Just a month or two ahead of Woodstock that was held in mid-August 1969.

No comments: